Would GST apply to me?admin
The bigger question- would GST apply to me?
Who needs to register under GST?
As we would all know GST would be one tax for all indirect taxes, thus it spreads its applicability to a larger section of businesses and person
GST would apply to:
- All businesses including trade, commerce, manufacturing, service provider, profession etc.
- All persons in any form- Individual, Individuals, HUF, Company, Firm, LLP, AOP, Co-operative society, Society, Trust etc. However, GST does not apply to Agriculturists.
Agriculture includes floriculture, horticulture, sericulture, raising of crops, grass or garden produce. But does not include dairy farming, poultry farming, stock breeding, gathering of fruit or rearing of seedlings or plants.
When do I need to register under GST?
Turnover based limits
If your turnover in a financial year exceeds 20 lakhs, it becomes mandatory to get registered under GST.
For north eastern states including Sikkim, the turnover limit has been at 10 lakhs.
So, those with a turnover of below Rs 20 lakh annually will be exempted from GST. With the north-east states, the exemption threshold is Rs 10 lakh.
Mandatory registration for following cases, irrespective of turnover:
- If you are making inter-state supply of goods or services.
- If you are a casual taxable person– who supplies goods/services in a taxable territory and has no fixed place of business
- If you are a non-resident taxable person– who supplies goods/services in a taxable territory and has no fixed place of business
- If you are required to pay tax under reverse charge mechanism
- If you are an Agent or any other person who makes supply on behalf of other registered taxable persons
- If you are an E-commerce operator
- If you are a Person who supplies via an e-commerce operator (except branded services)
- If you are an Aggregator supplying services under his brand name
- Distributors or input service distributors. This person has the same PAN as the office of the supplier. This person is an officer of the supplier, he receives supplies and issues tax invoice to distribute credit of CGST/SGST/IGST.
- Persons who are required to deduct tax under section 37
- Such other person or class of persons as may be notified by the Central Government or a State Government